K40 RLS2 Radar / Laser Detector
Portable Police Radar / Laser Detector with GPS
Portable Performance Taken to the MAX
Utilizing many of the same advanced technologies found in our acclaimed remote installed police radar detection systems, the high-performance RLS2 packs a powerful defensive punch into a convenient, portable design.
Maximum accuracy and quiet driving enjoyment is assured thanks to the intelligent K-Band filter that automatically scans and rejects radar-based safety features.
By employing state-of-the-art GPS communication, maximum convenience is delivered with “Mark to Mute”. Just one button push is all that is required to permanently silence the audio warning of false warning locations you normally encounter.
With a variety of audible and visual warnings that warn what type of threat you’re facing as well as “geiger” audio effect that increases in intensity, you’ll be armed with maximum critical information so you can decide what action is required.
In addition to these early warning system features, 13 customizable settings give you maximum control over your driving experience.
- Reviews & Testimonials
K-Band Filter – An advanced, automatic filtering technology that intelligently recognizes and rejects radar-based safety features (such as adaptive cruise control or blind spot assist) in other vehicles so you can remain focused on real radar threats.
- Traffic Sensor Filter – The RLS2 will reject alerts from traffic flow sensors usually encountered during highway driving.
Flexible Mute options – Offers multiple ways to silence alerts, including automatic volume reduction.
- Dim – Adjust the intensity of the display depending on the time of day or your visual preference.
GPS Features – The RLS2 offers you 13 Customizable settings, including GPS features such as:
- Mark to Mute – Mute audible warnings of false, non-police radar locations you regularly travel past with a simple button push.
- Mark to Alert – Mark dangerous intersections, speed traps, school zones and red light cameras.
- Quiet Ride – Mute alerts under a pre-selected speed. Eliminates alerts when you plan to drive near, at or below the posted speed limit.
- Speed Monitor – Track your speed without taking your eyes off the road.
- Fully Programmable Radar/Laser Alert Options – Enables you to eliminate audible and visual alerts to specific radar bands or laser.
- Accessories Included – Everything you need to install the RLS2 is included: Fully-adjustable windshield mounting bracket with suction cups, a standard coiled power cord with 12V outlet adapter, and a straight power cord for a custom hardwired installation.
- Voice or Tone plus Digital Display – Unique audible and visual warnings alert you to the specific police radar band targeting your vehicle as well as provide a “geiger” audio alert that accelerates as you near the threat.
- Vibrant Dot Matrix Display – Great looking and easy to read, day or night. Easily adjust the brightness to suit your driving environment. Default display shows your filter setting, compass direction, and speed reading.
Product subject to one or more of the following U.S. Patents:
- Other patents pending.
Detects all North American approved police radar frequency and radar gun:
|Operating Frequencies||10.500 – 10.550 GHz (X-Band)
24.050 – 24.250 GHz (K-Band)
33.400 – 36.000 GHz (Ka-Band)
830 – 945 nanometers (Laser)
|Power Requirements||11.5 – 16.0 Volts DC negative ground
170 mA typical standby
|Dimensions||5.11 in. L x 2.86 in. W x 1.39 in. H|
Three Filter Settings:
|1. Highway||Detects all North American police radar (X, K, and Ka-Band) and laser signals at full sensitivity.||For highway travel or in any area in which you are
unfamiliar with the types of radar used.
|2. City||50% reduction in X-band sensitivity. This is because it is the most common source of non-police radar
signals. K, Ka, and Laser will remain at full sensivity.
|When traveling in an urban area with minimal non-police radar signals.|
|3. Filter||Eliminates X-Band detection completely. Reduces
K and Ka-Band sensitivity by 50%. Laser detection will remain at full sensitivity.
|When traveling in a congested traffic area with a high concentration of non-police radar signals.|
- Voice Type – Male / Female
- Audible Voice – Voice On / Voice Off
- Wake Up – Wake Up Long / Wake Up Short (abbreviated start-up sequence)
- Speed Displayed – Speed On / Speed Off – for mph/kph on screen
- Compass Heading – On / Off – directional heading on screen
- Traffic Sensor Filter – Off / On – Enables filtration radar signals from traffic flow sensors
- Quiet Ride – Set minimum detection speed from 5 mph – 75mph / 10 kph – 120 kph
- Speed Monitor – Set to alert when a preselected speed is exceeded.
- X-Band – On / Off
- K-Band – On / Off
- Ka-Band – On / Off
- Laser – On / Off
- Factory Reset
Radar Receiver Type – DSP Datadyne Technologies
GPS Receiver Type – SiRFstar III
Display Type – Full Dot Matrix Display
Signal Strength Indicators – Audible Geiger and numeric signal strength indications
RDD Guard – Protection from Radar Detector Detectors
Widely published automotive journalist Eric Peters was curious how K40 Electronics’ RLS2 portable radar detector would stack up to his beloved Valentine 1 unit as well as if the RLS2 suffered from annoying false warnings from other vehicles’ radar-based safety features like collision avoidance. Read the review to find out why Eric says, “the K40 is very sensitive – and…Read more
“So far, this detector has saved us from two different tickets which means its paid for itself and then some.” Read more
“He (the police) would have had me dead to rights, and I would have had no excuse. That time, my K40 literally did save my ass from a big ticket.” Read More
Jady Pham of The Anatomy of Cars loves his BMW M2 and wanted to give it guaranteed ticket-free protection. As he said, “I always wanted a radar detector to protect myself if I was accidentally speeding.” Check out Jady’s review video and learn what he thinks of the K40 RLS2 portable radar/laser detector as well as watch him (at 2:45) interact live with…Read more
Automotive enthusiast David Patterson of the popular ThatDudeInBlue YouTube channel checked out our RLS2 portable radar/laser detector and found “on the highway, it’s a lifesaver.” Watch the video to learn what else he has to say about the unit and radar and laser in general.
“…99% of the time it detects the radar signal well before I see the police car… a quality detector that didn’t have a zillion false alarms.” Read more
“Being that newer cars are running K-band frequencies for lane control, brake assist, and other safety options, we were concerned that this radar detector was going to be full of false alerts. To much surprise it didn’t, that is because the RLS2 comes equipped with an automatic K-Band filter that filters through the abundance of K-Band…Read more
“Some people habitually drive too fast. For them, a good radar detector is a great way to keep tickets at bay. For me, however, a good radar detector is an effective reminder to pay attention and watch my speed.” Read More
“…an area infested with numerous false radar sources. Yet the RLS2 doesn’t give me a single false alert there. Impressive. Most impressive.” Read more
“You will be pleasantly surprised with its many features, top notch performance, and up to 13 customizable settings for individual drivers.” Read more
The crew at Hooniverse is checking out our RLS2 Portable Radar/Laser Detector and will compare it to the K40 RL360i Expert custom installed system. This is first of several videos they’ll create and in summing this Part 1 up, the RLS2 is rated as “great”. Watch the video for all the insights:
“…comes with a great guarantee…easy to set up, offers lots of functions both detection and safety-wise…” Read more
“I couldn’t believe how far away I was from the speed trap yet the detector was going off as if I was right next to the officers. It’s easy to use, it gets the job done, and comes with features that sets it a bar above the rest.” Read more
“Overall, I am very impressed…the RLS2 Radar/Laser Detector is one of the best on the market…” Read more
“I’ve used it for a while and haven’t gotten a ticket…it’s packed with amazing features past the Ticket-Free Guarantee program.” Read more
“…what’s needed in today’s digital age to take back control and eliminate the angst and tension of driving.” Read more
“…(the RLS2) has performance no other radar detector offers…it has saved me from at least 2 tickets already…” Read more
“Performance-wise, it does great and it features a lot of options we would expect from an advanced unit.” Read more
If your vehicle has any of these radar based options:
- Active Blind Side Assist
- Attention Assist
- Automatic Cruise Control
- Blind Side Assist
- Blind Spot Information System
- Blind Spot Intervention (BSI)
- Blind Spot Warning (BSW)
- Blind Zone Assist
- Brake Assist
- Collision Avoidance System
- Cruise Control with Stop and Go
- Distronics Plus
- Driver Assistance Package
- Emergency Braking System
- Lane Change Assist
- Lane Departure Warning
- Park Assist
You need a radar detector and laser jamming solution that protects you from speeding tickets WITHOUT compromising these important safety features. Your K40 Consultant will customize and tailor the perfect solution, so that you no longer have to choose between OEM options and the confidence to drive your performance automobile. Call 800.323.5608 and speak directly and immediately to a K40 Consultant. Find your nearest authorized K40 dealer.
Trying to estimate warning time in an actual mile or feet measurement is impossible since true warning time is influenced by many outside variables that have nothing to do with the radar detector itself. For example, the strength of the radar signal being transmitted, the direction the gun is pointed, the length of time it is transmitting, the positioning of the patrol car, and the influence of other objects around you may all affect how your radar detector receives a signal.
For these reasons, don’t expect your detector to achieve the same warning distance every time you encounter police radar. Just expect it to do what you bought it for: give you enough time to slow down and save yourself from receiving a speeding ticket.
Sensitivity refers to a radar detector’s ability to pick up police signals at the greatest distance. Selectivity refers to the detector’s ability to filter out signals that are not true police signals, yet operate on the same frequencies as police radar (i.e. security alarms, garage doors, automatic doors, etc.).
The filtration software built into K40 radar receivers features very unique microelectronic processors that minimize distractions that come from non-police radar transmitters. This helps give you the time you need to react to real potential threats, without the constant “falsing” that makes other detectors difficult to use in today’s challenging driving environments.
Radar detectors are essentially superheterodyne radio receivers. Like any radio, they’re passive devices that listen for microwave signals. The main difference is that they are specially-tuned to detect microwave frequencies transmitted by police radar and laser guns.
If a police car is not equipped with a radar or laser gun, a radar detector cannot possibly locate it. Also, if no signal is transmitted when you pass the police car, there won’t be any signals for your detector to receive.
Police may also use a sinister technique called “Instant-On” or “RF Hold.” During this type of encounter, an officer will wait until a targeted vehicle is within range to send a quick burst of radar to clock its speed. K40 radar detectors are sensitive enough to detect these brief, weak signals, but you have to pay attention and react quickly.
Speed signs – or speed reading boxes – are radar-based. Radar detectors are not radar jammers. Jamming radar is a federal offense and is prohibited by federal law nationwide. These informational-only speed readers, if working properly, should always detect and display your speed.
Speed signs – or speed reading boxes – are not used to issue traffic tickets or citations. As a result, these portable systems are not calibrated regularly and can “drift” away from the FCC-authorized frequencies. Because of this, when passing one of these signs that say Your Speed Is…,” you may or may not receive an alert. These devices are primarily placed in residential areas as a reminder to obey the speed limit.
POP Mode, when turned on, enables the detection of a special band of radar known as “POP.” This is a very short transmission signal that allows the user of a radar gun to capture a quick read of a vehicle’s speed prior to setting the gun to another band. K40 recommends that you keep the POP Radar Mode turned off for two reasons: 1) POP radar does not transmit long enough to gather information needed to issue a speeding ticket, and 2) keeping POP Mode “on” is known to cause far more false alerts than actual alerts.
No, we do not. The sale and use of radar jammers has been banned by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) since 1997. The fines for each violation can reach up to $11,000.
Today, many high-end car manufacturers, such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW, are incorporating special tints into their windshields to protect the interior look and comfort of their cars. Unfortunately, this creates a very real problem for people who own portable radar detectors.
Putting tint of any kind on your windshield that contains metal film is essentially like putting a blanket over your radar detector. While radar microwave signals can still travel through fiberglass, plastic, and glass, they cannot penetrate metal. Some tints are worse than others, but if it contains metal of any kind, it will reduce the performance of any portable radar detector mounted inside the car.
We have absolute confidence in the performance of our products, and you should never get a speeding ticket when they are operating and used properly. In the rare event you should receive a speeding ticket in the first 12 months of ownership, we’ll pay any and all fines (excludes attorney fees and/or insurance premium increases as well as tickets issued in school zones, construction zones, and/or when DUI or DWI is involved). No questions asked.
It’s the best, most comprehensive guarantee in the business, and we make it with the utmost confidence.
Drive Ticket Free
Get a ticket during the first year of ownership, we pay for it, subject to the terms and conditions below. Simply send us a copy of the radar or laser speeding ticket, your proof of payment of the ticket, and your receipt for your K40 purchase.
We started offering this guarantee in 1985 and we still stand by it today!
100% Ownership Guarantee
- 100% Performance Guarantee – If your K40 Radar Detector or Laser Defuser does not outperform any other radar or laser protection system you’ve owned, return it within 30 days for a full product credit.
- 100% One-Year Quality Guarantee – K40 will repair or replace any defective product for one full year from date of purchase.
- 100% Theft Guarantee – If your custom installed remote radar detector is ever stolen, we’ll replace it.
To ensure you’re covered by all K40 guarantees, register your product today.
Terms and Conditions
- Ticket-Free Guarantee not valid for tickets issued in school or construction zones, incurred with a DUI or DWI violation, or for tickets received outside the U.S. and Canada.
- All K40 Electronics products carry a one year “repair or replace” Limited Warranty. This coverage begins on date of purchase and applies to defects in product materials and workmanship only. Installation, removal, or misuse is not covered.
- In Canada – RD950 and RLS2 portable models only – Excludes any photo radar/laser and/or any tickets issued that do not accumulate demerit points.
- Installed radar detector systems must include the purchase of at least one Laser Defuser in order to be covered for any laser speeding ticket reimbursement.
- Theft claim must include complete copy of police report indicating details of loss to due theft, proof of purchase from an authorized K40 dealer, and proof of insurance reimbursement if applicable. NOTE: the theft guarantee excludes portable radar detectors.