K40 RL200i Radar Detector
Custom-installed front radar protection
The RL200i front radar detection system embodies the same attributes we set out to define as industry standards when we introduced the world’s first remote, custom installed radar detector in 1983. Performance. Convenience. Flexibility.
You’ll drive with full confidence knowing you’re protected from police radar threats by the highest performance front detection system available. All the while, your driving experience will be enhanced with features like an automatic K-Band filter and Mark to Mute option that reject or silence annoying false alerts, as well as Mark to Alert option to notify you of important locations – such as a red light camera – where increased observation vigilance is desired.
If you want to expand your system’s protection capabilities with lightning fast firepower, you can add up to five Laser Defuser laser jammers for the most advanced shield of defense against front targeted police threats.
- Reviews & Testimonials
K-Band Filter — An advanced, automatic filtering technology that intelligently recognizes and rejects radar-based safety features (such as adaptive cruise control or blind spot assist) in other vehicles so you can remain focused on real radar threats.
Traffic Sensor Filter — The RL200i will reject alerts from traffic flow sensors usually encountered during highway driving
OEM-like Visual and Auditory Alerts — The RL200i retains the OEM appearance of a vehicle’s interior by strategically hiding a miniature alert LED in the instrument cluster and and a audio speaker under the dash. It’s a completely undetectable protection system until the RL200i warns you based on your preferred settings. Choose from five customizable LED brightness settings, voice alerts, tone alerts, or muted audio.
System Control Options:
Wireless Remote Control (standard) —
The key fob sized wireless remote lets you control everything from the brightness of the alert LED to the system’s mute settings and GPS features. Change selections with a single click and the K40 logo flashes red to indicate button activity. When finished with use, you can hide the remote control in an interior storage area or leave it attached to a sun visor via the supplied clip.
Expert Control Unit (optional) —
The ultimate in OEM style and convenience! This permanently installed, yet easily concealed component puts control of system settings and functions in a fingertip reach location. The Expert Control Unit looks and functions just like factory vehicle controls and is backlit for easy button identification in low light conditions. Available only through select Expert Dealers…contact us for a dealer referral. (install photo: Kingpin Car & Marine Audio)
GPS FEATURES – The RL200i offers you 13 customizable settings, including GPS features such as:
- Mark to Mute – Mute the audible warning of false, non-police radar locations you regularly travel past with a simple button push.
- Quiet Ride – Mute alerts under a pre-selected speed. Eliminates alerts when you plan to drive near, at or below the posted speed limit.
- Mark to Alert – Mark Dangerous intersections, speed traps, school zones, and red light cameras.
- Speed Monitor – Track your speed without taking your eyes off the road.
Optional K40 Laser Defuser protection — Become invisible to police laser guns. The RL200i, combined with the jamming power of the Laser Defuser units, delivers the ultimate in ticket-free radar and laser protection.
Product subject to one or more of the following patents:
- 7,298,248 B2
- Other patents pending.
Detects every North American approved police radar frequency and radar gun:
|Operating Frequencies||10.500 – 10.550 GHz (X-Band)
24.050 – 24.250 GHz (K-Band)
33.400 – 36.000 GHz (Ka-Band)
|Power Requirements||11.5 – 16.0 Volts DC negative ground
350 mA typical standby
|Remote Control||CR2032 Cell Battery|
Front Radar Receiver
Interior Host Module
|3.07 in L x 1.4 in W x.47 in H
4.10 in L x 3.20 in W x 2.00 in H w/attached 15′ cable
2.00 in L x 2.00 in W x .50 in H w/attached 20′ cable
5.749 in L x 3.249 in W x 0.90 in H w/ attached audio quality speaker
|Optional Expert Control Unit||1.76 in L x 0.76 in W x 0.35 in H w/attached 8′ cable|
|Weight||Total system 2.0 lbs|
|Temperature Range||-40° – +165° Fahrenheit|
|Level / Mode||Sensitivity||Recommended Use|
|1. Highway (factory default setting)||Detects all types of North American approved police radar at maximum range and sensitivity.||For highway travel or in any area in which you are unfamiliar with the types of radar used.|
|2. City||The X-Band sensitivity is reduced. This is because it is the most common source of non-police radar signals. K, Ka, and Laser remain at full sensitivity.||When traveling in an urban area with minimal
non-police radar signals.
|3. Filter||X-Band detection is eliminated completely. K and Ka-Band sensitivity is reduced by 50%.||Use this mode when traveling in congested traffic areas with a high concentration of non-police radar signals.|
Additional System Features:
- Handheld Remote Control – Visor clip or dash mounting options
- Voice Type – Female or Male
- Alert Type – Voice or Tones
- Distinct Tones for all Bands – X, K, Superwide Ka and Laser alerts (when optional Laser Defuser(s) are incorporated)
- Customization – Radar receiver can be customized for band awareness and alerts
- Wake-Up Sequence – Audible and visual sequence at start-up
- Abbreviated Test – Optional abbreviated wake-up sequence
- Display Type – Single blue LED or warning pod custom-integrated into driver’s cockpit view
- Signal Strength Indicators – Audible Geiger strength indications
Factory Default Settings:
- Voice Type – Female
- Voice – On
- Wake-Up – Long
- Auto Mute – Off
- Traffic Sensor Filter – Off
- MPH/KPH – MPH
- Speed Monitor – Off
- Radar – On
- X-Band – On
- K-Band – On
- Ka-Band – On
- Laser – On (with optional Laser Defuser(s)
- Laser – Constant Transmit
- Factory Reset
K40 radar detectors have been a name synonymous with quality and workmanship. When a radar detector company can produce a product that has stood the test of time like K40. The choice is simple.
This is my 7th K40 radar detector purchase – nice update to product and good service at Patrick BMW.
I have been using your products for quite a few years and maintain a perfect driving record under your protection. I can drive from Jacksonville, Florida, to New York City in just 12 hours door-to-door, and from Fernandina Beach to Plano (north of Dallas) under 16 hours. I would gladly endorse your products and service if you had the need.
Thank you for your products and services.
Manuals & Brochures
- RL360i / RL200i Quick Reference Guide – MM – TSF
- RL360i / RL200i Owner’s Manual – MM – TSF
- RL360i / RL200i Wiring Diagram – MM – TSF
Not finding what you’re looking for? Search through our complete list of Manuals & Brochures.
If your vehicle has any of these radar based options:
- Active Blind Side Assist
- Attention Assist
- Automatic Cruise Control
- Blind Side Assist
- Blind Spot Information System
- Blind Spot Intervention (BSI)
- Blind Spot Warning (BSW)
- Blind Zone Assist
- Brake Assist
- Collision Avoidance System
- Cruise Control with Stop and Go
- Distronics Plus
- Driver Assistance Package
- Emergency Braking System
- Lane Change Assist
- Lane Departure Warning
- Park Assist
You need a radar detector and laser jamming solution that protects you from speeding tickets WITHOUT compromising these important safety features. Your K40 Consultant will customize and tailor the perfect solution, so that you no longer have to choose between OEM options and the confidence to drive your performance automobile. Call 800.323.5608 and speak directly and immediately to a K40 Consultant. Find your nearest authorized K40 dealer.
Trying to estimate warning time in an actual mile or feet measurement is impossible since true warning time is influenced by many outside variables that have nothing to do with the radar detector itself. For example, the strength of the radar signal being transmitted, the direction the gun is pointed, the length of time it is transmitting, the positioning of the patrol car, and the influence of other objects around you may all affect how your radar detector receives a signal.
For these reasons, don’t expect your detector to achieve the same warning distance every time you encounter police radar. Just expect it to do what you bought it for: give you enough time to slow down and save yourself from receiving a speeding ticket.
Sensitivity refers to a radar detector’s ability to pick up police signals at the greatest distance. Selectivity refers to the detector’s ability to filter out signals that are not true police signals, yet operate on the same frequencies as police radar (i.e. security alarms, garage doors, automatic doors, etc.).
The filtration software built into K40 radar receivers features very unique microelectronic processors that minimize distractions that come from non-police radar transmitters. This helps give you the time you need to react to real potential threats, without the constant “falsing” that makes other detectors difficult to use in today’s challenging driving environments.
Radar detectors are essentially superheterodyne radio receivers. Like any radio, they’re passive devices that listen for microwave signals. The main difference is that they are specially-tuned to detect microwave frequencies transmitted by police radar and laser guns.
If a police car is not equipped with a radar or laser gun, a radar detector cannot possibly locate it. Also, if no signal is transmitted when you pass the police car, there won’t be any signals for your detector to receive.
Police may also use a sinister technique called “Instant-On” or “RF Hold.” During this type of encounter, an officer will wait until a targeted vehicle is within range to send a quick burst of radar to clock its speed. K40 radar detectors are sensitive enough to detect these brief, weak signals, but you have to pay attention and react quickly.
Speed signs – or speed reading boxes – are radar-based. Radar detectors are not radar jammers. Jamming radar is a federal offense and is prohibited by federal law nationwide. These informational-only speed readers, if working properly, should always detect and display your speed.
Speed signs – or speed reading boxes – are not used to issue traffic tickets or citations. As a result, these portable systems are not calibrated regularly and can “drift” away from the FCC-authorized frequencies. Because of this, when passing one of these signs that say Your Speed Is…,” you may or may not receive an alert. These devices are primarily placed in residential areas as a reminder to obey the speed limit.
POP Mode, when turned on, enables the detection of a special band of radar known as “POP.” This is a very short transmission signal that allows the user of a radar gun to capture a quick read of a vehicle’s speed prior to setting the gun to another band. K40 recommends that you keep the POP Radar Mode turned off for two reasons: 1) POP radar does not transmit long enough to gather information needed to issue a speeding ticket, and 2) keeping POP Mode “on” is known to cause far more false alerts than actual alerts.
No, we do not. The sale and use of radar jammers has been banned by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) since 1997. The fines for each violation can reach up to $11,000.
Today, many high-end car manufacturers, such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW, are incorporating special tints into their windshields to protect the interior look and comfort of their cars. Unfortunately, this creates a very real problem for people who own portable radar detectors.
Putting tint of any kind on your windshield that contains metal film is essentially like putting a blanket over your radar detector. While radar microwave signals can still travel through fiberglass, plastic, and glass, they cannot penetrate metal. Some tints are worse than others, but if it contains metal of any kind, it will reduce the performance of any portable radar detector mounted inside the car.
It’s the best, most comprehensive guarantee in the business, and we make it with the utmost confidence.
Drive Ticket Free
Get a ticket during the first year of ownership, we pay for it, subject to the terms and conditions below. Simply send us a copy of the radar or laser speeding ticket, your proof of payment of the ticket, and your receipt for your K40 purchase.
We started offering this guarantee in 1985 and we still stand by it today!
100% Ownership Guarantee
- 100% Performance Guarantee – If your K40 Radar Detector or Laser Defuser does not outperform any other radar or laser protection system you’ve owned, return it within 30 days for a full product credit.
- 100% One-Year Quality Guarantee – K40 will repair or replace any defective product for one full year from date of purchase.
- 100% Theft Guarantee – If your custom installed remote radar detector is ever stolen, we’ll replace it.
To ensure you’re covered by all K40 guarantees, register your product today.
Terms and Conditions
- Ticket-Free Guarantee not valid for tickets issued in school or construction zones, incurred with a DUI or DWI violation, or for tickets received outside the U.S. and Canada.
- All K40 Electronics products carry a one year “repair or replace” Limited Warranty. This coverage begins on date of purchase and applies to defects in product materials and workmanship only. Installation, removal, or misuse is not covered.
- In Canada – RD950 and RLS2 portable models only – Excludes any photo radar/laser and/or any tickets issued that do not accumulate demerit points.
- Installed radar detector systems must include the purchase of at least one Laser Defuser in order to be covered for any laser speeding ticket reimbursement.
- Theft claim must include complete copy of police report indicating details of loss to due theft, proof of purchase from an authorized K40 dealer, and proof of insurance reimbursement if applicable. NOTE: the theft guarantee excludes portable radar detectors.