K40 RD950 Radar / Laser Detector
Portable Radar / Laser Detector
The RD950 is the easiest to own and operate K40 radar and laser detector that offers superior – and guaranteed – protection against speeding tickets.
Just plug it in…the RD950 comes pre-tested and pre-set from the factory and includes everything you need to be instantly protected with maximum range and accuracy.
If you desire more control for where and how you drive, 10 customizable menu options let you program the RD950 to meet your specific needs and provide the most enjoyable driving experience possible.
- Reviews & Testimonials
- K-Band Filter – An advanced, automatic filtering technology that intelligently recognizes and rejects radar-based safety features (such as adaptive cruise control or blind spot assist) in other vehicles so you can remain focused on real radar threats.
- Traffic Sensor Filter – The RD950 will reject alerts from traffic flow sensors usually encountered during highway driving.
- Flexible Mute Options – Offers multiple ways to silence alerts, including automatic volume reduction.
- Dim – Adjust the intensity of the display depending on the time of day or your visual preference.
- Fully Programmable Radar/Laser Alert Options – 10 customizable menu settings allow you to program the RD950 to fit you and your driving environment.
- Accessories Included – Everything you need to install the RD950 is included: Fully-adjustable windshield mounting bracket with suction cups, a standard coiled power cord with 12V outlet adapter, and a straight power cord for a custom hardwired installation.
- Voice or Tone plus Digital Display – Unique audible and visual warnings alert you to the specific police radar band targeting your vehicle as well as provide a “geiger” audio alert that accelerates as you near the threat.
- Vibrant Dot Matrix Display – Great looking and easy to read, day or night. Easily adjust the brightness to suit your driving environment.
Product subject to one or more of the following U.S. Patents:
- Other patents pending.
Detects every North American approved police radar frequency and radar gun:
|Operating Frequencies||10.500 – 10.550 GHz (X-Band)
24.050 – 24.250 GHz (K-Band)
33.400 – 36.000 GHz (Ka-Band)
830 – 945 nanometers (Laser)
|Power Requirements||11.5 – 16.0 Volts DC negative ground
170 mA typical standby
|Dimensions||4.572 in. L x 2.728 in. W x 1.124 in. H|
Three Filter Settings:
|1. Highway||Detects all types of North American approved police radar or laser signals at full sensitivity.||For highway travel or in any area in which you are
unfamiliar with the types of radar used.
|2. City||The X-Band sensitivity is reduced. This is because it is the most common source of non-police radar
signals. K, Ka, and Laser will remain at full sensivity.
|When traveling in an urban area with minimal non-police radar signals.|
|3. Filter||Eliminates X-Band detection completely. Reduces
K and Ka-Band sensitivity. Laser detection will remain at full sensitivity.
|When traveling in a congested traffic area with a high concentration of non-police radar signals.|
- Voice Type – Male / Female
- Audible Voice – Voice On / Voice Off
- Wake Up – Wake Up Long (Full) / Wake Up Short (abbreviated start-up sequence)
- Traffic Sensor Filter – On / Off
- Automute – On / Off
- X-Band – On / Off
- K-Band – On / Off
- Ka-Band – On / Off
- Laser – On / Off
- Factory Reset
RDD Guard – Radar Detector Detector shielded
Radar Receiver Type – DSP Datadyne Technologies
Display Type – Full Dot Matrix Text Display
Signal Strength Indicators – Audible Geiger and visual strength indications
“A valuable addition to any vehicle. Overall the product performs as described and is a great value for the money.” Read more
Just tested my brand new RD950 vs my older RD850. The 950 didn’t false in the 60 mile Interstate 95 test run from North Jacksonville to Georgia. The 850 false alerted 3 times. Later, the 950 went off and the 850 didn’t. A quarter mile further the 950 went off again on Ka band. Still nothing on the 850. A half mile later the 950 is going berserk and the 850 finally comes to life. A mile later I run through the RADAR speed trap at 70mph (the speed limit). I could have slowed down from 90mph with the 850 in time but the extra 30 seconds warning from the 950 was fantastic! What an awesome detector! I’m going to have to get used to how much farther away this detector alerts me. I was going to give the 850 to my wife, but after today I am going to have to get her a 950 as well! Thanks for an amazing product and a special thanks to my K40 consultant Brian for talking me through the purchase.
If your vehicle has any of these radar based options:
- Active Blind Side Assist
- Attention Assist
- Automatic Cruise Control
- Blind Side Assist
- Blind Spot Information System
- Blind Spot Intervention (BSI)
- Blind Spot Warning (BSW)
- Blind Zone Assist
- Brake Assist
- Collision Avoidance System
- Cruise Control with Stop and Go
- Distronics Plus
- Driver Assistance Package
- Emergency Braking System
- Lane Change Assist
- Lane Departure Warning
- Park Assist
You need a radar detector and laser jamming solution that protects you from speeding tickets WITHOUT compromising these important safety features. Your K40 Consultant will customize and tailor the perfect solution, so that you no longer have to choose between OEM options and the confidence to drive your performance automobile. Call 800.323.5608 and speak directly and immediately to a K40 Consultant. Find your nearest authorized K40 dealer.
Trying to estimate warning time in an actual mile or feet measurement is impossible since true warning time is influenced by many outside variables that have nothing to do with the radar detector itself. For example, the strength of the radar signal being transmitted, the direction the gun is pointed, the length of time it is transmitting, the positioning of the patrol car, and the influence of other objects around you may all affect how your radar detector receives a signal.
For these reasons, don’t expect your detector to achieve the same warning distance every time you encounter police radar. Just expect it to do what you bought it for: give you enough time to slow down and save yourself from receiving a speeding ticket.
Sensitivity refers to a radar detector’s ability to pick up police signals at the greatest distance. Selectivity refers to the detector’s ability to filter out signals that are not true police signals, yet operate on the same frequencies as police radar (i.e. security alarms, garage doors, automatic doors, etc.).
The filtration software built into K40 radar receivers features very unique microelectronic processors that minimize distractions that come from non-police radar transmitters. This helps give you the time you need to react to real potential threats, without the constant “falsing” that makes other detectors difficult to use in today’s challenging driving environments.
Radar detectors are essentially superheterodyne radio receivers. Like any radio, they’re passive devices that listen for microwave signals. The main difference is that they are specially-tuned to detect microwave frequencies transmitted by police radar and laser guns.
If a police car is not equipped with a radar or laser gun, a radar detector cannot possibly locate it. Also, if no signal is transmitted when you pass the police car, there won’t be any signals for your detector to receive.
Police may also use a sinister technique called “Instant-On” or “RF Hold.” During this type of encounter, an officer will wait until a targeted vehicle is within range to send a quick burst of radar to clock its speed. K40 radar detectors are sensitive enough to detect these brief, weak signals, but you have to pay attention and react quickly.
Speed signs – or speed reading boxes – are radar-based. Radar detectors are not radar jammers. Jamming radar is a federal offense and is prohibited by federal law nationwide. These informational-only speed readers, if working properly, should always detect and display your speed.
Speed signs – or speed reading boxes – are not used to issue traffic tickets or citations. As a result, these portable systems are not calibrated regularly and can “drift” away from the FCC-authorized frequencies. Because of this, when passing one of these signs that say Your Speed Is…,” you may or may not receive an alert. These devices are primarily placed in residential areas as a reminder to obey the speed limit.
POP Mode, when turned on, enables the detection of a special band of radar known as “POP.” This is a very short transmission signal that allows the user of a radar gun to capture a quick read of a vehicle’s speed prior to setting the gun to another band. K40 recommends that you keep the POP Radar Mode turned off for two reasons: 1) POP radar does not transmit long enough to gather information needed to issue a speeding ticket, and 2) keeping POP Mode “on” is known to cause far more false alerts than actual alerts.
No, we do not. The sale and use of radar jammers has been banned by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) since 1997. The fines for each violation can reach up to $11,000.
Today, many high-end car manufacturers, such as Mercedes-Benz and BMW, are incorporating special tints into their windshields to protect the interior look and comfort of their cars. Unfortunately, this creates a very real problem for people who own portable radar detectors.
Putting tint of any kind on your windshield that contains metal film is essentially like putting a blanket over your radar detector. While radar microwave signals can still travel through fiberglass, plastic, and glass, they cannot penetrate metal. Some tints are worse than others, but if it contains metal of any kind, it will reduce the performance of any portable radar detector mounted inside the car.
We have absolute confidence in the performance of our products, and you should never get a speeding ticket when they are operating and used properly. In the rare event you should receive a speeding ticket in the first 12 months of ownership, we’ll pay any and all fines (excludes attorney fees and/or insurance premium increases as well as tickets issued in school zones, construction zones, and/or when DUI or DWI is involved). No questions asked.
It’s the best, most comprehensive guarantee in the business, and we make it with the utmost confidence.
Drive Ticket Free
Get a ticket during the first year of ownership, we pay for it, subject to the terms and conditions below. Simply send us a copy of the radar or laser speeding ticket, your proof of payment of the ticket, and your receipt for your K40 purchase.
We started offering this guarantee in 1985 and we still stand by it today!
100% Ownership Guarantee
- 100% Performance Guarantee – If your K40 Radar Detector or Laser Defuser does not outperform any other radar or laser protection system you’ve owned, return it within 30 days for a full product credit.
- 100% One-Year Quality Guarantee – K40 will repair or replace any defective product for one full year from date of purchase.
- 100% Theft Guarantee – If your custom installed remote radar detector is ever stolen, we’ll replace it.
To ensure you’re covered by all K40 guarantees, register your product today.
Terms and Conditions
- Ticket-Free Guarantee not valid for tickets issued in school or construction zones, incurred with a DUI or DWI violation, or for tickets received outside the U.S. and Canada.
- All K40 Electronics products carry a one year “repair or replace” Limited Warranty. This coverage begins on date of purchase and applies to defects in product materials and workmanship only. Installation, removal, or misuse is not covered.
- In Canada – RD950 and RLS2 portable models only – Excludes any photo radar/laser and/or any tickets issued that do not accumulate demerit points.
- Installed radar detector systems must include the purchase of at least one Laser Defuser in order to be covered for any laser speeding ticket reimbursement.
- Theft claim must include complete copy of police report indicating details of loss to due theft, proof of purchase from an authorized K40 dealer, and proof of insurance reimbursement if applicable. NOTE: the theft guarantee excludes portable radar detectors.